Thread: Appleton Rum Factory Tour info request

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Appleton Rum Factory Tour info request

Has anyone recently completed either a resort-organized or self-initiated tour of the Appleton Rum factory?

1). How much time was or should be alloted for it considering travel time and tour/drinking? Doorstep to doorstep timeframe?

2) Any must see or must do's along the way or while at the factory?

3) Do you recall the price at the factory being less, equal to or more than the duty free shops?

Any feedback appreciated.

Several people in my group wants to go mid-week (probably Wednesday) during our time there in June and being informed ahead of time is a good thing.

Thank you in advance.

Ann TS

Ann,

In all my years, I have never visited!! Shame shame shame!

Friends have visited & say it is absolutely the best! I have driven through the countryside where the estate is located & that alone is worth the trip. I think it is about 1-1/2 hours from Hedo. If you leave early enough, you can combine the tour with a stop at YS Falls which you have to drive past to get to Appleton. YS Falls itself is beautiful, it is privately owned (unlike Dunn's River) & the owners limit the volumes in order to protect the environment: they also have a zip-line canopy tour operated by Chukka Blue. I think YS can also provide lunch - not 100% sure about that. There is also the Black River Safari which is incredibly beautiful & you get to see native crocodiles and other critters.

You should be able to book through the hotel, e-mail them ahead of time to get more info from the concierge/front desk. Or Google Appleton Estate or J Wray & Nephew to find out contact information if the hotel is not helpful.

By all means go! I cannot comment about the cost of the liquor, but if you buy it outside of the airport, it has to be packed in your suitcase which increases the risk of breakage exponentially (speaking from experience here!). While you may pay a little more at duty free, you are at least guaranteed it will arrive in one piece - don't be penny wise & pound foolish! If you are buying it at Appleton to consume in Jamaica, then you will probably save a few bucks because you are not paying resort prices.

If you also google Jamaican South Coast Attractions you should be able to get a listing of stuff to do.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!

Ian

I asked a friend recently about that same tour. I'd also like to go.....I understand it takes somewhere around 4-6 hours. So expect at least half a day to be taken up. Sorry I cannot give you more.
    Promises may get friends but
    'tis performance that keeps them