Thread: Weather question

Weather question

I hope this isn't a taboo subject but with the possibility of what is predicted to be a cat 3 hurricane in the vicinity of Jamaica around Tuesday, what happens if one hits? This is why I ask:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...y.html#a_topad

Skip

Here's our experience: The staff is fully prepared to handle the situation should a hurricane strike. The entertainment staff will stop planned activities and provide frequent weather updates, reading the latest forecast from the Nat'l Hurricane Center in the main dining room and such.
    In the hours in advance of the storm, the pools and pool bars will be closed and filled with all lounge chairs and materials that are likely to blow away. Guests in the oceanfront rooms may be moved to more secure areas in the quad. Depending on the severity of the storm, guests will either be moved to shelter or told to remain in their rooms (this will be enforced, if necessary, by security). It's also very boring in that they take the satellites down so don't count on there being any TV to watch. Unfortunately, the windows aren't the best at keeping out windblown rain, so I'd recommend stocking up on towels and the yellow floats to prevent flooding in the room, especially if the windows face the sea.
    The resort will provide food as circumstances warrant in Pastafari (enclosed area) and may open the main bar for a time for drinks.
    If you're planning to leave for Jamaica over the weekend, I would recommend checking with your airline to see if they will allow for flight changes. Hedo does the best it can in keeping guests comfortable and secure in hurricanes, but it's probably best to avoid the situation altogether if the storm does become a Cat 3 or 4.

Storm Plan

As a veteran of Hurricane Ivan at Hedo III we can attest to everything the previous writer has stated. During Ivan, the GM, Kevin Levee, personally gave us regular storm updates from the stage in the Main Lounge.

Most of us spent a lot of time there playing games (Destiny leading "Truth or Dare"). When the storm was threatening, Kevin boarded up Pastafari, moved tables out and mattresses in, and declared it his "safe room". All of us were ordered there after a cetain hour. Bars were closed but beer and wine were available. We wound up having a slumber party in Pastafari in which Destiny was the ring leader and totally out of control.

Meals were served throughout the storm and after. Wait staff could not make it in so the ET's worked as waiters. Picture Spike walking around at beakfast saying, "Coffee, Tea or ME".

The resort has a full backup generator and had a full tank of fuel so we never lost power, ice or air conditioning. Twelve hours after the storm abated, the resort was cleaned up an in full operation again.

I hate to say it, but we had more fun during Ivan than we had in several other trips.

Superclubs hurricane policy really is a good one. Not only were we comped for three days the hurricane ruined(?) our vacation, we were also refunded the amount we paid for those three days. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Last edited by Sunset Bill; 08-17-2007 at 10:52 AM.

aftermath

how did the resort look afterward?
    Life is like a dick, when it gets hard...Fuck it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Bill View Post
    As a veteran of Hurricane Ivan at Hedo III we can attest to everything the previous writer has stated.

I hate to say it, but we had more fun during Ivan than we had in several other trips.

Superclubs hurricane policy really is a good one. Not only were we comped for three days the hurricane ruined(?) our vacation, we were also refunded the amount we paid for those three days. It doesn't get much better than that.
    You and everyone else were very lucky during Ivan - it wasn't a direct hit. You'd be singing a different tune if it had...