Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much cash to take?

How much cash to take?

Any suggestions on how much extra cash to take? Obviously, at an all-inclusive, one has all the food and drinks paid for, and I assume that any excursions can be paid for with credit cards...but a bit of cash on hand is always suggested. Any idea how much? Are there any departure taxes or any other hidden costs?

We always take a few hundred dollars with us. For a taxi to Negril or Ricks also some credit cards company's charge a fee to use them internationally so I do like to avoid any fees from the credit card company.
    Alice & Lewis

Hedo July 9-July 19-2014 with the Fluffernutters
    Hedo Dec 22-29-2012 with the Fluffernutters

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We take $200 ea. in small bills for whatever.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Bring small bills, 20's,10's,5's and 1's .You cannot always get change for a hundred. Jamaica will take US dollars, but sometimes give you back change in Jamaican. One US dollar is equal to approx. 87.00 jamaican.
    Bob

Back again !
    Hedo 2 6-16-25 2017with The Hedo Rockers !
    Group Info
    www.wildwomenvacations.com
    www.hedorockers.com
    Hedo Amigo's 3 -11-18 2017 !
    Hero Amigo Lite 9-30-10-7-2017 !
    NYE's 2017 .. 12-25-30 !

Registered User hedovirgins2009's Avatar
    At least $100 for tips while you are traveling. The guys that handle your bags plus the driver to/from the airport. A bit for bartenders and housekeeping. Maybe you want to play the few slot machines they have at the resort....? I know that you are not supposed to 'tip' as a rule but I like to I also bring some goodies for the housekeeper(s) that include soaps/lotions, chocolates etc. Last year our 'room attendant' said she really liked bath and body gift sets we left for her. I made sure to leave a gift tag on each of them that specifically said 'from us to her' by name.

I might not have the cherry anymore, but I still have the box it came in!

Last year Valentine's Week at Hedo II was the most fun I've ever had.
    This year will be our first trip to Hedo III April 23 - May 1 2010.

Smile

Great tips, thanks everyone! I am a first timer and had no idea what to bring, cash wise. And thanks Bob, for the solo at Hedo link!

I have 2 questions the first is what currency we should take, jamaican dollars or american? The second is I didnt see any sun umbrellas in the pictures and wonder if there are some shady spots at the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Take U.S. dollars, they are accepted everywhere. All prices are usually quoted in U.S. anyway. As far as umbrellas, you might want to bring one if you are fair-skinned. There is some shade, but it is at a premium on a hot day. Even in the shade, you will get reflected sunlight, so bring loys of sunscreen. Get the "waterproof" kind, so it won't wash off when you are in the pool ( nude, of course)!!

Thank you thats fab, factor 60 is at the ready lol

I took $200 last time and wish I had brought at least $300. I felt like I took too many $20's and not enough $1's. Because I didn't feel comfortable using my CC I only used the cash I brought. So this time I have a better idea of what I should bring.

The money was spent on Tips(for baggage handlers, bus drivers), cigars, smoke, memorabilia at the gift shop, Cat cruise for two and Redstripes at the highway stop and the airport. So we didn't get to do other things off the resort when it came up.(not that that was a huge problem LOL)
    Last edited by Mr.Powers; 01-28-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brightongirl View Post
    I have 2 questions the first is what currency we should take, jamaican dollars or american? The second is I didnt see any sun umbrellas in the pictures and wonder if there are some shady spots at the beach?
    American always works, not much for shade depending on the time of day, if you get out early enough you should be able to get a spot by the tree, otherwise you will not have a problem getting someone to help with the lotion.

Quote Originally Posted by brightlights View Post
    Any suggestions on how much extra cash to take? Obviously, at an all-inclusive, one has all the food and drinks paid for, and I assume that any excursions can be paid for with credit cards...but a bit of cash on hand is always suggested. Any idea how much? Are there any departure taxes or any other hidden costs?
    We usually take around 300, but it depends on how much time you spend off the resort, The small bills is a good tip.

If you do opt to take your credit or debit/ATM card, be sure to call your bank and notify them of the dates you will be out of the country. Our first trip, ours wouldn't work!!!

Also turn on your international dialing with cell phone company. We find it cheaper to text a msg or two back and forth each day to check on things at home. AT&T text is 50 cents each way vs $1.99 a minute to call!

We usually take about $500 cash with $100 being in ones, rest 5's, 10's and 20's. Usually have $ left over! Happy vacation!
    Kiki

Jon's Fluffernutters July 11-20, 2014
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2013
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2011
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2010
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2009
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2008

Thanks everyone for your help. Only issue is that I'm not sure a Canadian bank will dole out $100 in U.S. one-dollar bills....I will have to check. I guess that they are not thrilled to get Canadian loonies, eh???

Quote Originally Posted by brightlights View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. Only issue is that I'm not sure a Canadian bank will dole out $100 in U.S. one-dollar bills....I will have to check. I guess that they are not thrilled to get Canadian loonies, eh???

Hey Brightlights We always bring 100$us in 1's and 5's,10's for tipping, just have to go to the bank earlyer (about a month or so) to order them in.Other than that we bring at least 500$ in cash,but we like to bring back stuff for the kiddo's and alway's do a day trip and couples message.Basically it all depends on how much you want to do while you are there! Enjoy
    No pants are the best pants
    Next trip
    2017 sometime

Registered User Allan_Elizabeth's Avatar
    In Toront we need to give the bank 3 or 4 days notice for small bills. we take $50 in 1's plus 5 and tens. We like to go off campus for dinner and maybe a concert, plus we pay cash for Tim Air....so we take around 6 to 700

Next trip Dec 15 - 21 2019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast