Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer Question

Beer Question

Do they have any other beers besides Red Stripe at the bars at Hedo II?

if you have a hot tub room with a fridge, I've been told they keep it stocked with other beer. Not sure which kind, though.

There are other kinds you can buy at the gift shop.

The fridges in the suites have red stripe, red stripe light, and real rock- all jamaican brands. If you are not a fan of redstripe at home, try it at the resort before you write it off- fresher is definitely better as far as redstripe goes.
    The bars have red stripe and red stripe light, though I did see a thread on here that claimed that both taps are connected to the same keg- no confirmation on that.
    Nick (and the "get that stinky beer away from me" potato juice drinkin Kitty)tm
    Last edited by NickandKitty; 04-10-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Ok thanks. I was just curious. I drink Red Stripe now and then here at home and it's not too bad.

Nice and cold

A nice cold Red Stripe is great on a hot day

Shawn And the very Lovely Angie
    Hedo III
    July 28-Aug7,2010

Blog Entries
    The Red Stripe is much better there than after it has been shipped all the way here.

www.cocktailsintl.com

Drink up the Guilty Pleasures

Quote Originally Posted by NickandKitty View Post
    The fridges in the suites have red stripe, red stripe light, and real rock- all jamaican brands. If you are not a fan of redstripe at home, try it at the resort before you write it off- fresher is definitely better as far as redstripe goes.
    The bars have red stripe and red stripe light, though I did see a thread on here that claimed that both taps are connected to the same keg- no confirmation on that.
    Nick (and the "get that stinky beer away from me" potato juice drinkin Kitty)tm
    Most ales and ALL lagers are better fresh. Only highly hopped and very high alcohol ales (>10% ABV) are better aged.

Unless you live in a neighborhood where Red Stripe is super popular, you can bet on the the turnover of the beer being far higher anywhere in Jamaica and therefore fresher than anything you can get in the US. A Red Stripe drunk in Jamaica is almost guaranteed to taste better than one drunk outside of Jamaica.

On my last trip to Hedo I met a guy who was taking home Red Stripe that came in a different bottle (more like a standard brown glass beer bottle). He claimed that it was the REALLY good stronger Red Stripe that Jamaicans didn't export and that it was far tastier than the exported stuff. I was not able to talk him out of a bottle to test this statement.

On the subject of beer freshness. Am I the only one who finds it odd that p[eople still put lemons and limes in Coronas. Back in the day when Corona was not popular and was thoroughly skunked by the time most Americans bought it (thanks clear glass bottle) people put the citrus in it to mask the skunking. Corona turns over so fast in the US these days that it's easier to find a "unicorn" than it is to find a skunked Corona. Enough with the lemon and lime wedges. Corona should be embarrassed to use that in their advertising but they know most US consumers don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Moorerotic; 04-10-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

The Red Stripe at the bars is better than you will get in the US / Canada simply because of its fresheness. You will actually pass the brewery and distiributor on your way to Hedo 3. The resorts get premium treatment as they go through A LOT of beer and you are likely to get a keg of Red Stripe the day it is released after aging. With that said, Red Stripe is Red Stripe. It will not be winning metals anytime soon, but it is worth the price you pay and, really, it's all about who you drink it with.
    It's Rumtini Time

Hedo II April 23-28

Personally I have always preferred a lemon or lime wedge in a beer and it has nothing to do with skunky flavor or being less fresh than would be desired.
    I grew up in San Diego and as a teen frequently went south to TJ with friends where we would consume large quantities of dos equis, pacifico, corona, tecate, modelo, and whatever else we happened to come across. I do not imagine that, given the proximity of the breweries of these brands to Tijuana, it is not fresh. I still occasionally pick up a 6 of Pacifico and will not drink it without lime.
    As far as pointing fingers at Americans not knowing any better perhaps you should accuse the British of that as well since we found "lager and lime" to be extremely popular and quite tasty on our last visit there. Carlsberg or Carling (which is much like Coors to my palate) were both excellent with some lime juice or a lime slice added. Not a freshness issue there I imagine.
    As an aside there is very little that is better than a nice light Paulaner Hefeweizen on a hot afternoon with a lemon slice in it. It just enhances the flavor, not masking a thing.

Just my experiences- your mileage may vary.
    Nick (and the woowoo lovin Kitty)tm

Quote Originally Posted by Moorerotic View Post
    Most ales and ALL lagers are better fresh. Only highly hopped and very high alcohol ales (>10% ABV) are better aged.

Unless you live in a neighborhood where Red Stripe is super popular, you can bet on the the turnover of the beer being far higher anywhere in Jamaica and therefore fresher than anything you can get in the US. A Red Stripe drunk in Jamaica is almost guaranteed to taste better than one drunk outside of Jamaica.

On my last trip to Hedo I met a guy who was taking home Red Stripe that came in a different bottle (more like a standard brown glass beer bottle). He claimed that it was the REALLY good stronger Red Stripe that Jamaicans didn't export and that it was far tastier than the exported stuff. I was not able to talk him out of a bottle to test this statement.

On the subject of beer freshness. Am I the only one who finds it odd that p[eople still put lemons and limes in Coronas. Back in the day when Corona was not popular and was thoroughly skunked by the time most Americans bought it (thanks clear glass bottle) people put the citrus in it to mask the skunking. Corona turns over so fast in the US these days that it's easier to find a "unicorn" than it is to find a skunked Corona. Enough with the lemon and lime wedges. Corona should be embarrassed to use that in their advertising but they know most US consumers don't have a clue.
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

The Mysterious Red Stripe...

I find that I consider Red Stripe an "attitude beer". Its flavor depends on where I am and my attitude! After mowing the lawn here in Fla., its not a beer I would use as a refresher, but in the right setting, such as our indoor home tiki bar with a couple of topless ladies around and some Jamaican music playing, it tastes wonderful! One of the many mysteries of how Jamaica will affect you, I guess...
    Corbin

Quote Originally Posted by NickandKitty View Post
    Personally I have always preferred a lemon or lime wedge in a beer and it has nothing to do with skunky flavor or being less fresh than would be desired.
    I grew up in San Diego and as a teen frequently went south to TJ with friends where we would consume large quantities of dos equis, pacifico, corona, tecate, modelo, and whatever else we happened to come across. I do not imagine that, given the proximity of the breweries of these brands to Tijuana, it is not fresh. I still occasionally pick up a 6 of Pacifico and will not drink it without lime.
    As far as pointing fingers at Americans not knowing any better perhaps you should accuse the British of that as well since we found "lager and lime" to be extremely popular and quite tasty on our last visit there. Carlsberg or Carling (which is much like Coors to my palate) were both excellent with some lime juice or a lime slice added. Not a freshness issue there I imagine.
    As an aside there is very little that is better than a nice light Paulaner Hefeweizen on a hot afternoon with a lemon slice in it. It just enhances the flavor, not masking a thing.

Just my experiences- your mileage may vary.
    Nick (and the woowoo lovin Kitty)tm
    I was simply stating the reason why these practices were begun. If people develop a taste for citrus in their beer that's fine. My favorite beer has distinct floral and citrus (orange) notes to it but not because orange is added to it but because of the mix of hops used to make it. I personally prefer to taste what the brewmaster, who hopefully is an artist and craftsman, intended me to taste.

What I tend to see is people robotically putting lemons and limes in their Mexican beer (which are basically light German lagers) like it's the law or something. I'm sure that both the English practice and Hefeweizen practice were originally begun for the purpose of masking skunked beer, and the practice just stuck. Also most popular lagers probably benefit some sort of taste modification. Isn't there a Bud Lime on the market now?
    Last edited by Moorerotic; 04-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

Actually, the lime wedge in the beer was never originally used to flavor the beer or mask any skunkiness. It is used throughout Central and South America as a stopper to prevent flies from getting in your beer...

I like Red Stripe, I call it Jamaican Budweiser. I've never been to Jamaica so I'm looking forward to trying it fresh.

A quick Google search will tell you that there is no definitive answer for why they put lime in Corona. To hide the skunky flavor and to keep flies out are both prime theories but they are both just speculation not accepted facts. Somebody also said it's so you don't taste the urine, that's the theory my money is on.

Red Stripe at the swim up bar is best served cascading over one or both breasts or any other body shot location your imagination can come up with. I fill a Bubba Keg with cold Red Stripe and make the rounds at the hot tub before dinner as an appetizer. Many men and women participate in this even if they are not particularly fond of the beer. It tends to be an ice breaker and gets the party started. I will be there with the wife and Bubba Keg in 2 weeks (April 24th). Can't wait!!!!!!

Rob

I like Robs approach. Who cares lime or no lime. I like my beer cold, poured over a beautiful body

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast