Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Starting a Group

Thinking About Starting a Group

Well....if you haven't already figured out from the title, we're thinking about starting a group. But the real question is, are there any benefits from organizing one? Of course, beside the benefit of great friends to travel to paradise with! The down side is that they really seem to be a whole lot of work. TNT

Yes they can be alot of fun, and yes they can be alot of work...I'll send you a PM.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

We started our group 4 years ago, please feel free to contact us with any questions.
    Cop N kitten..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Registered User cnjcpl4whatever's Avatar
    I was asked a few years ago to start one for our friends and thought about it for awhile did some looking into it and said NO lol I just don't want to work on my vacation. But good luck to you.
    RESPECT EVERYTIME
    ALL THE TIME,
    JOHN & TERRY
    April 17th to 29rd 2023 Trip 18

If done right it is quite alot of work, but what we refer to as a labor of love.
    I have been working pretty steady since we got home on various things for our groups 5 year anniversary trip next year.
    Between planning and getting things together is on and off the whole year in between for the two host couples.
    But man it pays off when everyone has a great time.
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

I don't think it's something that starts at home on the couch with the thought "hey, I'll start a group". Ours kind of evolved from our initial trip where we made a bunch of new friends, to planning a do-over trip the next year with the same people and then met more new friends, by the third year the "official group" sort of came to fruition as it became a life of it's own, plus meeting and talking with other groups, specifically one of the Hellians helped us out in getting started. They are a labor of love as Cop said, and we also sort of fell into our current role as having the desire and the time to put into it.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

As Sabina and Scott said, you must have the desire and time to put into the group, as well as lots of energy. This will be our 13th annaul meeting in September and I can positively say that you must be willing to really invest the time, especially if you try to do it all yourself. If you partner with a travel agency (and they ALL want you to do that), some of the workload falls off you and onto them. Of course then, you also lose some control. It can be fun though. Our favorite moment each year is to sit on the side of pool and look across at all the people having fun and interacting with each other, and know that it was our efforts, in large part, that brought them all together. A very nice feeling.

Hmmmmm....I think the next step would be to travel with a group next time.

We traveled with several groups, found things we liked to include in our own, things we didnt like that we made sure we excluded.
    It's a great way to start.
    Cop..

Quote Originally Posted by tdog1215 View Post
    Hmmmmm....I think the next step would be to travel with a group next time.
    You're more than welcome to join us in September.

We've been with groups and "solo". We've been "hosts" for an evening, as well as simply riding coat tails... A group setting offers both the benefits and disadvantages of seeing the same people over and over again. I organize and coordinate groups/teams all year long - it's what I do for a living, and I have found that what I am looking for in a vacation is ABSOLUTELY NO schedules or organization! While we absolutely appreciate the work our hosts put into our group(s), we are looking for total random spontaneity on our vacation time and simply can't be tied to that kind of responsibility.

We have plenty of friends who want an adventure and do the hiking, scuba, sightsee, shop, swim with dolphins thing... That works for them, but to us, that seems like a lot of effort. On the other hand, we just want to lay around in the sun, socializing with others, all the while enjoying the fog of partial inebriation. It takes all kinds...

I'd suggest you find out what "kind" of vacation you are looking for by joining a group and seeing how it works first. If you find that the satisfaction of running a group enhances your experience, do it next year. But you don't want to dive into the responsibility of running a group only to find out you are really just lazy slugs like us!
    Last edited by Desert Dwellers; 04-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Mikey and Diane

Cool RE: Thinking About Starting a Group

Redacted
    Last edited by EastWest; 06-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Cheers,

D & L

July 2009: Hedonism III
    July 2011: Hedonism II

http://69eastwest69.tumblr.com

We could have formed a group no problem but we want to enjoy our vacation it is just to much work. Some people who run groups stay 3 to 4 days after there group leaves to have a vacation because running a group and making sure everything is going good is not a vacation it is business. Just go to Hedo and let others do the work. The money you make is not worth it or the free rooms. Some people start groups so there vacations are free so to speak usually the smaller groups 50 rooms or less. To us it will feel like making money off our friends and we just couldn't do that.
    Alice & Lewis

Hedo July 9-July 19-2014 with the Fluffernutters
    Hedo Dec 22-29-2012 with the Fluffernutters

I agree Lew, if you ran a group and made money off me that would cut a line between friends and
    business. Making money of those you call friends is not an honourable venture. And to add insult to
    injury you get a free stay. I like the fact you directed my to Jon and the lovely Janet at the Fluffernutters,
    paid like the rest and go and enjoy a vacation with no perks or cutting into friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by scott-n-bobbi View Post
    I agree Lew, if you ran a group and made money off me that would cut a line between friends and
    business. Making money of those you call friends is not an honourable venture. And to add insult to
    injury you get a free stay. I like the fact you directed my to Jon and the lovely Janet at the Fluffernutters,
    paid like the rest and go and enjoy a vacation with no perks or cutting into friendship.
    Over the years we've always have comments from our"friends" that are in our group, that as hosts they hope we're compensated for our efforts...often offering to give us $$$ to help pay for things like our Foam Party in the disco. We've always been kind of vague about the cash flow and dynamics of how a group works...and just let them know that we're "looked after" and don't want any $$$ from them. I feel I have to reply to this that we are by no means making a profit or getting a free ride for our efforts.
    As Cop stated this is a labor of love and takes alot of effort through the year to put it all together. Since we run the group and fell into the role, we don't run it as a business or make a profit...we do it for the enjoyment of everyone coming. Expenses for the swag we give away, towels, bracelets, temp. tattoos game supplies and prizes plus costs of registering website etc. are paid by us personally, A big expense is rental of the foam machine which is also paid by us...Hedo does not contribute,if we pay for it, they will arrange it and charge us for clean up after.. Without listing specific expenses...yes, we do get a comped room for the period of the group, but the money we would have spent on the room is also spent by us on things for the group. Last year we actually had "saved" $1000 over what we would have paid as guests of the hotel...and we gave that away as cash prizes at our meet and greet party. So our net for the week is what an average guest of Hedo would have spent if they didn't run a group. Bottom line we pay as much for the trip as a regular guest...we just give back to the group.

We look forward to our 8th year as hosts for our New Years Eve trip, have lots of stuff planned again for this year, and are very grateful that we have the support of our friends and also new friends we haven't met that book with us and make all this possible and make our vacation rewarding as well. We have no guilt as we are not taking money from our "friends" but adding to their enjoyment...and ours...of the week by being able to provide added benefits of a group.
    Last edited by sabinaandscott; 05-01-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast