Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lysol Spray for AC Unit?

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takemetonegril View Post
    Okay, let a mold guy chime in (owned a mold remediation company recently). I think Earthangel is right, and the A/c guy is right. My two cents is: it's probably a combination of going from really moist air outside all day to bone dry air blowing on you at night.

The resort I'm sure doesn't A/C the rooms when they are empty and the difference between the temperatures will cause condensation which an A/C filter is perfect for capturing and attracting spores. Jamaica being so humid all the time must be full of mold (all air is) so the rooms have plenty available when the rooms are left hot, dark (shades pulled to keep em cool) and moist, there it is, perfect mold conditions.

Some people are much more sensitive than others. Seriously, it would take one minute to pull out the filter run it through the shower for a minute with a little soap, replace it, all good for the week, easy peesy.

Cheers
    Easy for you,hard for me.I wanted to inspect mine but it was so high up on the wall I could not reach it without a ladder.On the other hand,it happened only once in three trips to me so who knows.Magjoy,have you ever taken allergy shots for it?I took them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by magjoy View Post
    It's the mold spores for me.. my body doesn't tolerate them anywhere! I can escape it in the states, but when it's constant all night, it's just too much.
    I used Loratadine (generic Claritin) last trip, started cycling it a couple of weeks before the trip and had no new reactions to the different pollens and spores at Hedo. I think I will continue that preventative measure since it is only $7 for 60 pills OTC at WalMart.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nudists View Post
    Easy for you,hard for me.I wanted to inspect mine but it was so high up on the wall I could not reach it without a ladder.On the other hand,it happened only once in three trips to me so who knows.Magjoy,have you ever taken allergy shots for it?I took them for years.
    No allergy shots, this is literally the only time allergies affects me to this degree! I think I will start a cycle of claritin. I'm on a new drug for a rash I get, maybe that with help some. I'm pretty sure mold spores are very regional specific, but I could be wrong, but I'd think that's why a lot of people are more sensitive to it down there. There is no possible way to build an immunity to the gunk.

I believe the sore throats come from the hot tub. I did some research on this and it seems to be common.
    Shizelle ~n~ Dave
    April 21 - 28, 2018
    October 17 - 27, 2018
    Playful Pussycats

http://www.theplayfulpussycats.com

http://www.wildwomenvacations.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLcouple View Post
    I believe the sore throats come from the hot tub. I did some research on this and it seems to be common.
    This is possibly true too. We quit going to the hot tub late night a few trips back to avoid the chlorine off gas cloud that has no sunshine to burn it off. No problems during the day when it's burned off by sunshine or knocked down by rain.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

Blog Entries
    Hot tub too. There are over 200,000. known varieties of mold spores. Warm, dark and moist is the environment mold loves best and Jamaica is all of that.
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

I know a lady who has a lung disease which she got from the moldspores in her hot tub.There really is no cure but it can be "managed" is what I am told.Good news is that it affects petite blue eyed women with very fair complexions from what she said.Weird how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by FLcouple View Post
    We have seen women doing things in the hot tub that I am sure gave them a sore throat!!! On a more serious note...we always spray the room a/c filter with Lysol. The maintainence has improved....but we like the extra measure.

Quote Originally Posted by takemetonegril View Post
    Hot tub too. There are over 200,000. known varieties of mold spores. Warm, dark and moist is the environment mold loves best and Jamaica is all of that.
    We stopped doing the hot tub things years ago, but yeah, It would definitely leave a burn! *More the chemicals than anything. With being in February instead of June we may go in there more often!

We usually take a small travel size of Lysol and spray the air conditioning unit...I'd rather be safe than sorry.... I've been their with a sore throat and could barely talk...I'm sure the late nights and all the partying didn't help much either.. Although on the bright side of it my hubby was so excited I didn't have a voice for the next two and a half weeks after returning home...it made for a really quiet family trip to florida..lol...

Now that you mention it,I accidentally swallowed some hot tub water one afternoon(Don't Ask!) and Survived with no problem.It was the next trip that I got kennel cough which was most likely from having cold air blow on me ALL night so I am going to pack something warm to sleep in.I can't sleep under a fan at home either,just sayin'.......

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nudists View Post
    Now that you mention it,I accidentally swallowed some hot tub water one afternoon(Don't Ask!) and Survived with no problem.
    You're lucky you didn't get pregnant! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    One thing I'm always adjusting is the vent on the ac unit. That's one way you can keep the ac from constantly blowing directly on you at night.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

We went to Cosco and got the Lysol. So we should be good to go.
    Jo- & Mark

Honestly, we never run the AC. Not because we are worried about the mould, but because we are there to enjoy the warm climate. Going back and forth between a cold room to a hot humid environment is not good for you either. It actually bothers us when housekeeping comes in every day and turn the AC back on when we are obviously turning it off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123