Thread: cash or cards????

cash or cards????

been reading over alot of questions but im a lil stumped here...we r curious about bringing cash or using credit cards? what is more accepted there? we r planing to do some activities and a lil shopping, any suggestions?

In God we trust, all the rest pay cash.........
    (Song - The Grind by David Wilcox)
    http://www.lyricstime.com/david-wilc...nd-lyrics.html
    Sorry couldnt find it on YouTube for you.

I think that market venders prefer Cash, but excursions and diving can be paid for at the desk with Credit cards..
    Im bringing both.

InToronto

Last edited by intoronto; 05-17-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    been reading over alot of questions but im a lil stumped here...we r curious about bringing cash or using credit cards? what is more accepted there? we r planing to do some activities and a lil shopping, any suggestions?
    Anything booked through the resort I'd use a card for. Also things like phone in your room can be done using a card at the front desk. The vendors on the resort and stuff like the craft markets in town will be a cash only thing. The larger shops in Ocho Rios will take cards but I am not sure how secure that is.
    Dave and Carolyn Jamaica Gemini's
    Because everyone has a naughty twin that comes out to play at Hedo!
    Oct 30th - Nov 7th 2009. Kink Week and Wild Women's Week.

Definitly use cash when trading in Jamaica. The resort, Margaritaville, other well known and establishments will be ok for credit cards. Saying that - do not use your personal credit card. Go to Wal mart or a truck stop and purchase a preloaded debit card. They are backed by visa - you select your pin online or from calling the 800 number on the card. Do this about 3 weeks before you travel. Your initial card from Wal mart will be temporary but useable and then you will receive an actually visa card through the mail. If these cards are stolen they are useless without the PIN and replaceable by Visa. We plan to reload ours prior to our Nov trip. We used ours last year to pay for excursions, eats at the airport, souvenirs,etc. The advantage of the prepay is no real identity theft exposure. You pay cash for these things at Walmart - it cost less than 10 bucks for the card - no charge to load it. They will preload up to $900.00 at one time at the register - you get a receipt with a long numerical ID number - you go online or call the 800 number key it in and it shows up instantly. Also you can check your balance, transactions, online. If you plan to take more than $900 just go through the line again.
    We are not Jamaica experts but out of our 3 trips there, and especially shopping the street vendors and small shops, we were being dealt with trickery and dishonestly at nearly every stop. Never pay tax in Jamaica. Oh yeah we tourists know that but the vendors will try to add it in anyhow. Never had a problem with the vedors at the resort and the reason is the resort does not want bad business but the better deals usually are off the beaten path. Just be super "buyer beware" as you will not have no recourse. We do not like to negotiate - we always pay a fair price or more if we want the item. So it is a little frustrating to us that the prices in Jamaica are usually inflated drastically as much as 300% sometimes. So in Jamaica, have your bargain face on.
    Last edited by 55chevy; 07-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    [U]GOOD FRIENDS - GOOD WHISKEY [/U]& GOOD LOVIN' - NEED I SAY MORE

Thumbs up

We take cash only, even for the deposit on the room telephone, we leave cash. One year we used the card for the phone, paid cash on depature and ended up getting double charged, no mas...

I jus wan go home mon!
    Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

What about travelers checks? I do like the idea of preloaded cards. Sounds like the safest bet.