Thread: Driving in Jamaica

Driving in Jamaica

What is it like driving in Jamaica? Is it as bad as some sources make it out to be? We are traveling for a week and want to rent a car so we can get out around the island and see more and have that independence. Is it dangerous enough to advise against that? Never been to the island so any information from experienced travelers is very welcome. Thank you!
    Sorry if wrong box.

I've heard of a rental being done...no first hand experience behind the wheel...just jump seat...and they are a little crazy compared to North America, but on the other hand, much like any other caribbean country. They drive very aggressivly, on the wrong side of the road (left) so you have to get used to that oddity as well. It seems a good rule of thumb when passing on a hill is "toot the horn and accelerate"...same rule works well when a pedestrian is crossing the road!
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    I've heard of a rental being done...no first hand experience behind the wheel...just jump seat...and they are a little crazy compared to North America, but on the other hand, much like any other caribbean country. They drive very aggressivly, on the wrong side of the road (left) so you have to get used to that oddity as well. It seems a good rule of thumb when passing on a hill is "toot the horn and accelerate"...same rule works well when a pedestrian is crossing the road!
    Hey, what’s wrong with driving on the left?.......... We were here first!.... the British were here hundreds of years before those that choose to drive on the wrong side of the road!
    Remember an English man found America after all.

So anyway back to driving in Jamaica, If you break down or go the wrong direction into some areas - especially in the dark - you are very likely be mugged. Be careful, after all Jamaica is a poor country with little employment opportunities and high crime rates.

Eastenders

Hi! I went to Jamaica in 2001 and we rented dirt bikes to ride around. They're a bit more aggressive than in the US, but we didn't have any issues. But like the previous poster said, make SURE you know where you're going and don't go off the beaten path for safety's sake. And this isn't just coming from a tourist's opinion...we stayed with a local when we were there and they said exactly the same thing.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine! By the end of the week the opposite side of the road issue will feel like second nature

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    A driver once announced 'we don't drive wrong, we drive left!'. Now are you looking to rent from the airport or closer to the resort? I ask because this is your 1st trip to the island and it may be a bit daunting driving from MoBay to your respective location.

i've drove a car in JA before. Rented a car for 10 days and didnt have a flat or accident. And i must say, it is quite aggressive. but it's nothing to be intimidated about. The most to expect is to be passed by on a 2 lane road even while other cars are driving the opposite way.
    My advice is to share the road. I advise you to use your horn as a way to communicate, not as a way to say, 'fuck U'. Jamaicans actually talk to each other with their car horns. And when all else fails just relax and drive slow.
    'every ting is Chris mon'

Might want to take the extra insurance. Probably after a week of driving you'll be very comfortable.