Thread: Problems at Sangster?

Problems at Sangster?

Hostage Situation Unfolding At Montego Bay, Jamaica Airport

April 20, 2009

MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica - Two passengers, four flight attendants and a senior flight official are being held hostage on-board an aircraft in Jamaica.

169 passengers were reportedly on-board a CanJet airliner at Montego Bay's Sangster International Airport. Officials say an unidentified man was able to slip through airport security while the plane was boarding and somehow managed to seize control of the plane.

A Radio Jamaica reporter, speaking with CNN International, said 167 passengers were released.

Airline officials confirmed shots were fired during negotiations, but nobody was injured. It's unclear at this time what the man's demands are. The Prime Minister of Jamaica is helping in the negotiation process.

I have heard somewhat different details, but this is an unfortunate and still developing story. I am following it abc news and the ny times and will update the board as I can.

Gunman arrested

Crew and passangers safe
    He just wanted to go to Cuba

Ciao for now

Update

City: Montego Bay (MBJ)
    Date Issued: April 20, 2009 9:50 AM ADT

Statement by Kent Woodside, Vice President and General Manager, CanJet Airlines.

April 20th, 2009, Halifax, NS – We are very relieved to confirm that the gunman on CanJet Flight 918 in Montego Bay is now in police custody and that the remaining crew have been released unharmed.

Obviously we were extremely concerned for the well-being of everyone involved in this incident. Our priority is now to provide comfort and support to the passengers and crew who were involved in this ordeal. The crew who were being held are receiving medical attention as a precaution.

I’d like to praise the professionalism and bravery of our crew who, while trained to deal with serious incidents, would have hoped never to have to deal with the reality.

The security and safety of our passengers and crew are our top priority. We will continue to do all we can to help the authorities who are investigating the apparent breach of security at the airport that led to this incident.

As you know, Sangster International Airport has been reopened. Moments ago a CanJet aircraft left Montreal and will travel via Toronto to Montego Bay later this afternoon to take passengers and crew on to Santa Clara or back to Canada, should they choose to return home.

We would also like to thank the security authorities in Jamaica and Canada., including the RCMP. And we’re extremely grateful for the assistance of the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Prime Minister’s Office.

All of the passengers who were released earlier are now resting in a local hotel.

We still have our information line available for anyone with questions about family or relatives who may have been on board CanJet Flight 918. The number is 1-888-777-6429. We will also provide updated information on our website – www.canjet.com as it becomes available.

Confirmed crew list

CanJet Flight 918 April 20th, 2009
    Captain James Murphy Halifax
    First Officer Glenn Johnson Montreal
    Flight Attendant Nicole Rogers Halifax
    Flight Attendant Anu Goswami Toronto
    Flight Attendent Tony Bettencourt Toronto
    Flight Attendant Carolina Santizo Arriola Toronto
    Flight Attendant Heidi Tofflemire Halifax
    AirKare Security Officer Garry Knickle Halifax

Continue to CanJet.com

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How does an armed gunman get on an airplane? We were screened and scanned into the concourse waiting area, screened again at the jetway for passports and passes. Random searches were done at the jetway too. We were screened yet again at the door of the aircraft for passports and boarding passes. I thought it was overkill. Maybe not.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

The screening at Sangster has been insane the last few times we left...
    I would assume the guy came across the tarmac and up a stairwell to the jetway...just a guess on my part, can't understand how he would have gotten there any other way...

Consider how difficult screening will be because of this in Montego Bay now!! I think we'll add about another hour in line leaving the airport!
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Across the tarmac...

I thought the same thing.
    They report he walked through the airport.

Jamaican police storm airliner to capture gunman

Play Video Video:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/...plane_hijacked

Hijacker in custody, Canadian crew released: Jamaican police CBC.ca By HOWARD CAMPBELL, Associated Press Writer Howard Campbell, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 4 mins ago
    KINGSTON, Jamaica – A gunman forced his way though airport security onto a Canadian jet near Montego Bay, holding six crew members hostage for eight hours before police and soldiers stormed the aircraft on Monday and captured him.

Nobody was killed or injured in the ordeal, which ended with a raid after talks broke down with a 20-year-old Jamaican gunman described as "mentally challenged."

"We were getting nowhere with the negotiations," Jamaican Information Minister Daryl Vaz told The Associated Press. "Police and military went on the plane and captured him."

The suspect identified as Stephen Fray was in custody. Vaz said he is a "mentally challenged" man from the northwestern resort city of Montego Bay. He did not detail the man's mental condition but said he was apparently upset over a failed relationship.

The hostage crisis began at about 10:20 p.m. local time Sunday and ended near 6:40 a.m., when members of the Jamaica Defence Force Counter Terrorism Operations Group stormed the aircraft's cabin, according to a police statement.

The young man boarded CanJet Airlines Flight 918 and demanded to be flown to Cuba, Vaz told The Associated Press. The plane already was scheduled to stop in Santa Clara, Cuba, before returning to Canada. It arrived from arrived from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

A total of 159 Canadian passengers and eight crew members were aboard the Boeing 737 at the time, according to Jamaican police. Police said all the passengers and two crew members were released after a short time.

Passenger Brenda Grenier told the Canadian television channel CTV Newsnet that the gunman became agitated when a security guard came aboard and approached him. She said he ordered the pilot off the plane and fired his gun.

"That's when we all got very, very scared and people were crying and praying and we were just really frightened for all of our lives. There were children on the plane."

Grenier said a flight attendant had the idea to try to buy their freedom from the hijacker.

"We all took our money and we just, like, left our purses and our passports and everything just in the plane because we didn't want to take any chances. We just put the money in a bag and we ran out of the plane."

The hostage talks failed despite the involvement of the Fray's father and two brothers, who helped to get him talking before negotiators reached a dead end, Vaz said.

Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding addressed all the passengers after they were debriefed by police, according to the police statement.

The passengers were taken to a hotel, Vaz said. CanJet planned to fly another aircraft to Montego Bay to return the passengers to Canada, said Kent Woodside, a company vice president.

"It's a most unfortunate situation, but I can say the passengers are happy to be alive," Vaz said. "This whole experience has been very traumatic for them."

CanJet Airlines said 174 passengers were expected on the flight, but some apparently were not aboard by the time of the attempted hijacking.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was in Jamaica for a one-day visit, called Golding and "congratulated him for the successful resolution," Harper spokesman Dimitri Soudas said.

The charter airline is owned by Halifax-based IMP Group Ltd., according to CanJet's Web site.

Jamaican National Security Minister Dwight Nelson said the airport is expected to reopen Monday morning.

___

Ciao for now,

Thumbs up

Lets see....I am in Jamaica....take me to Cuba....hmmmmmm...definitely a few cards short a deck...

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    The screening at Sangster has been insane the last few times we left...
    I would assume the guy came across the tarmac and up a stairwell to the jetway...just a guess on my part, can't understand how he would have gotten there any other way...

That's the question we all have---how did he get through airport security, with a gun, let alone boarding a plane?? Insane---ya think??

Consider how difficult screening will be because of this in Montego Bay now!! I think we'll add about another hour in line leaving the airport!

At least when I land on Saturday, (hopefully), security will be so tight since this just happened. Either way, flying first class and on my way to Hedo---where can one go wrong with that???? LMAO........

Hugs,
    Le Ann

"Life is Too Short.....Party and Dance Naked!"

Quote Originally Posted by weliveinvegas View Post
    Lets see....I am in Jamaica....take me to Cuba....hmmmmmm...definitely a few cards short a deck...

Ivy and Rick
    LOL...If you read the article, about half way through you'll see the plane was scheduled to make a stop in Cuba anyway....he just had to get onto the plane, or stow-a-way and he'd get there anyway!
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

We left at 5pm Yesterday after this incident and security was the same, no extra line, got thru pretty quick.
    Paul + sexy joan....
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    LOL...If you read the article, about half way through you'll see the plane was scheduled to make a stop in Cuba anyway....he just had to get onto the plane, or stow-a-way and he'd get there anyway!
    lol...ok, maybe more than just a few short....

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

We were there at 10am on Monday and no problems with Security, Immigrations or anything. No major lines, hold ups .. nothing... Except that was the fastest we made it through all that.. I love Monday Travel!!!!
    Celebrating 10 Years of Spring Fling Fun at Hedo in 2018!

Virgin Trip Hedo III 4/10-17/2008
    New Years Eve, Dec.26 to Jan 3, 2009 Bare Bottom Bunch
    Fred's 60th Birthday Celebration 07/16-21/2009
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling April 2009 - 2017
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling 04/07 ~ 04/14/2018

kitten & angel's 10th Anniversary Spring Fling 2018 - April 07~14
    http://www.kittennangel.com/