Thread: Area surrounding Hedo

Area surrounding Hedo

I have been to this area (Virgin Islands) several times and I found that it isn't all that safe to go off exploring too very much. This being said, shopping is always fun...how safe are areas around Hedo II? Is the tourist shopping any good? Is it within walking distance or better to take a cab? I'm not all that much into the organized tours, although the Cat cruise sounds interesting. I don't know that we will do much of this, but I'd like to know what options are available. Thanks for your help. 19 sleeps to go!!!!!

Yes, it is safe off the resort and in Negril. Hedo II is located in Negril, which is a tourist town. It is on the far end of town, so a taxi to town is recommended. You can walk out to the road (or get a taxi at the lobby) and they'll take you anywhere in town or the cliffs and often wait for you as well.

Do remember to always negotiate the total price for all passengers round trip b4 getting in the taxi. $10 is more than enough for 2 in my experience.

The Times Square Shopping Plaza is popular, usual Jamaican stuff there. There is also a shopping area near the roundabout, be prepared for serious haggling if you enter! Coral Seas Plaza used to have shopping as well. I like the shopping outside of the Rockhouse up on the cliffs...great little stands and nice folks. Plus the Rockhouse is a cool place to have lunch or dinner.

You could also walk the beach toward town and hang at Cosmo's a neat bar & beautiful beach area & then walk out & take a taxi back to H2. Or have a taxi drop you off at Legends, Kuyaba, Bar-B-Barn, White Sands or one of a zillion other places and have a drink then head out onto the beach and stroll around sampling some of the bars & restaurants and tiny stands selling stuff. You can then walk back out to the road and get a taxi back to H2.

If you like walking, it is very doable on the beach or the road (beach is nicer, though there is one section that you'll need to take the path up near the road as the beach has washed away....sigh...near the old Mahogany Inn (now gone)). Bring water, sunscreen, cash. And do be prepared for people to ask you to buy things (and for the AI security folks to ask where you're from as you path through the AIs after Hedo)....a simple, "Thanks but I'm all set" works fine.

Have fun!

Liz

Hope this helps a little.
    Liz & Chris

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If local crafts are your fare, walk outside HII, turn left and go 1 block to a small craft market by the airport. A much larger market is situated just before the town of Negril (before the river) on the right (about 7 km.) These people will hound you to death and prices first quoted are at least twice what you'll get it for.

Negril is safe during the day. I always suggest another couple travel with you to be safe. I do not trust the night. I know others do, but that's just me.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

The typical taxi fare to/from anywhere along the beach is $5/couple. To go from Hedo to anywhere on the cliffs: $10. The taxis stationed at Hedo itself charge ~ twice that.

IMHO, the shopping in Negril is adequate, but not superb. Lots of typical tourist kitch. We liked the Countryside Gift Shop years ago - very good selection of normal tourist stuff.

Enjoy!

Chris
    Liz & Chris