Thread: Scuba Diving at HedoII

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scuba Diving at HedoII

Having just returned from HII, I want to encourage the divers among us to make the effort to do a few dives. I've never seen the reef as healthy as it is right now. The last hurricane was in '04 and today there are fans, huge sponges, and colorful corals all packed with tropical fishes abounding at HII. The Advanced dive at 9AM and Open Water/Scuba Diver dives at 11:30AM are included with your package, so bring your dive cards and see the wonders below the water at Hedo for sure. It's well worth the effort.
    Be warned, the requlators and BCD's are a bit worn out and it is wise to bring your own. We always use our own masks and snorkles, but next time I'll feel better with my own gear and just use thier weights.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

I'm planning on doing my 4 open water dives at HII to wrap up my PADI open water cert this March. I have fins/mask/snorkel. Perhaps I'll take your advice and get a BCD/Reg/Computer. I was planning on buying that anyway come April and dive season starts up here in Ohio. It's not THAT much extra suitcase space.

Oh, are they using yoke or DIN valves down there?

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They use the lower pressure (yoke?) valves, aluminum 80's filled to about 3,200 psi. Openwater dives are 35-40 minutes at up to 65 ft. A very nice comfortable place to dive. Their weights and fins are fine, but the BCD's and regs are sometimes pretty rough. At a bare minimum, take your own mask, snorkle, and regulator.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Yes, I have to agree the diving is quite spectacular. We were fortunate enough to go 3 times when we there last September. We happened to see a sea turtle, and wild dolphin. The coral is full of colours. You'd have to see it to believe it. All we took was our masks and snorkels. Everything else we used the resorts own. I didn't find too many problems with their gear. If you are nervous then if it would help you may want to bring your own. You do set up your BCD's and tanks on the boat before you leave so if there is a problem they'll get you a different one. We didn't run into any problems. Definately if your going to hedo and your a certified scuba diver bring your C card and dive. You don't find much included diving like this.

Snorkelling

What about snorkelling? Can you do it right off Hedo II's beach? Is there much to see?

You can snorkel off Hedo beach but it is not good go on the snorkeling trip it is free.
    Alice & Lewis

Hedo July 9-July 19-2014 with the Fluffernutters
    Hedo Dec 22-29-2012 with the Fluffernutters

how warm is the water, do we need to bring wet suits?

We didn't use any wetsuits. And either did the tease'um models that were there. They actually dove topless. The water is warmer than the swimming pools. Also if you don't use a wet suit you don't need as much weight. Like only 10 pounds. Some people have said they prefer it, but after diving there in my opinion it is a waste of space and time putting it on. The ocean water is very warm.

We were there last April and I had no problems with the regulators or BC's (we brought masks and snorkels). I thought the whole operation was very professional and quite easy. It is a very short trip to the reefs and the water was warm enough without a wetsuit. The visibility was good to very good from what we were used to.
    Two things we tried to hit every day: the 60' dive and the naked water slide.
    life doesn't get better than that!

Equipment at HII

We were there in October and the equipment was "OK".

The resort BCD shoulder straps did not adjust at all and the waist clip had been broken and was tied back on. That said, the resort equipment did work...

If you are using the resort equipment make sure to show up *early* and set up/check out your equipment. If you find any problems just mention it to the dive master and they will take care of it immediately before they go out. Doing this will result in better diving experiences.

We will be bringing our own gear, just because it is nice to dive with stuff you are comfortable with.

Last time we dove without wetsuits and that was comfortable and OK. But, this time be using wetsuits to be extra comfortable on longer dives and for jellyfish protection.

Again, the resort equipment was OK, just make sure you check yours out before the boat leaves.
    Kama Sutra Week - Jan 26th - Feb 2nd, 2013
    www.hedokamasutra.com

JCG: I'm grateful for your post. I was thinking about "just what does worn, or bad shape mean exactly?" Regs and BCDs are the sort of things that, if a flaw impedes function, then it's pretty much useless, not just worn. On the other hand, if function is OK, then to say it's worn can't be anything but cosmetic.

It's sounding like worn = "functional, but bleedin' pain in the bum".

I'll head down to the dive shop today and get my own like I said I was going to do after all.

Blog Entries
    OMG, what a great thread! I'm going for the fouth time to Hedo, (eighth to Jamaica)and have never dove there even though I've been diving for 35 plus years. I just have never heard it was that great, or more acurately when I first started in Ja after the hurricaines everyone said the diving sucked so I never went.

Thanks, I'm going this year damnit,,,,,,,if the reefer and sand gravity don't get me first, LOL
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Call me spoiled as I live in Bermuda but the diving at Hedo sucked. H3 was even worse and half the time the boat did not even work.

Resort Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by P&M View Post
    JCG: I'm grateful for your post. I was thinking about "just what does worn, or bad shape mean exactly?" Regs and BCDs are the sort of things that, if a flaw impedes function, then it's pretty much useless, not just worn. On the other hand, if function is OK, then to say it's worn can't be anything but cosmetic.

It's sounding like worn = "functional, but bleedin' pain in the bum".

I'll head down to the dive shop today and get my own like I said I was going to do after all.
    The resort will supply serviceable dive suits (just ask before the boat leaves the dock LOL).
    Ironically, my own octopus, the refurbished one I had bought just before my trip, started to fizz a bit half way through my second dive. I gave it a shake and air loss was slowed enough to get through the dive with 600 pounds in my tank.
    I had the dive shop at Hedo check out our regs after that and they replaced the worn o-ring in my octo. The dive staff (THANKS GRANTLEY) are very professional at maintaining the equipment!
    It was nice to have a dive computer on my rig and to be able to use use the exact same familiar equipment each and every dive.

The most beat up equipment would be the BCD's; they work fine but the straps are knotted up and don't adjust. If you have your own, then bring it, end of story.

The o-rings on the tanks are often very worn. Show up early and set up your gear before the boat leaves the dock, inspect the tank o-ring before hooking up the octopus and check for leaks afterwards. Standard set-up/buddy check stuff. The dive staff will *immediately* fix anything that needs attention, but that goes a lot more quickly if you are still at the dock.

The wife and I both had a great time diving at Hedo this January!