Page 32 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: February 13th - 20th

Quote Originally Posted by RobandMonika View Post
    This was from the Jamaican runaways forum, thought it would be helpful if you guys didn't already have it:
    Tipping is not allowed, but under the table tipping is a must in my opinion.* The dollar does not go far in Jamaica and after several visits to Hedo and making long lasting relationships with the staff I have learned that a lot of them would rather have some personal items.* A bottle of aspirin to them is like gold.* Everything is shipped in to Jamaica and so things that we take for granted like toothpaste, aspirins, Tylenol shampoo and so on are worth more to them than a twenty dollar tip.* The past few times I have been there, I brought them some small care packages like eye drops, toothpaste/toothbrush, Tylenol, over the counter cold medicine, and put it in a back pack for them.* I have talked to several of the bar tenders and some of them have small kids in school and things like pack packs and school supplies are really needed.* When I travel over the year, I hang on to the hotel soaps, shampoos and so on.* When I get ready for my Jamaica trip I make small care packages and give them accordingly along with a small cash tip
    yup - that's good advice and pretty much what i've heard all along...there's something else to place on the checklist...

Olympics

We're obviously not looking foward to the Olympics, since we are going to Hedo when it's here. (There's 'countdown clocks' all over the city and to us it's 'countdown to Jamaica!')

However the new Olympic Village is very close to us and I took some pics on our walk yesterday. It's to the right of Science world and is completely closed off to the public right now.

There was a guy making rock sculptures all over the place. Hope they don't wreck them like they did to all the amazing murals that were downtown. This city is going insane with Olympic anticipation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 91 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 64 views)

Quote Originally Posted by tattoodjedi View Post
    yup - that's good advice and pretty much what i've heard all along...there's something else to place on the checklist...
    Our good friend makes amazing soap so we can bring that for tipping. Now how to get it all to fit into our suitcases?????

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Our good friend makes amazing soap so we can bring that for tipping. Now how to get it all to fit into our suitcases?????
    that's an excellent idea.

We're obviously not looking foward to the Olympics, since we are going to Hedo when it's here. (There's 'countdown clocks' all over the city and to us it's 'countdown to Jamaica!')

However the new Olympic Village is very close to us and I took some pics on our walk yesterday. It's to the right of Science world and is completely closed off to the public right now.

There was a guy making rock sculptures all over the place. Hope they don't wreck them like they did to all the amazing murals that were downtown. This city is going insane with Olympic anticipation.
    wow that's awesome. i would hope that they wouldn't get wrecked. pretty close to where we live in NY is the remnant of the 1969 World's Fair. When you pass them on the highway they almost resemble dinosaur fossils - but they're still there 40 years later. i would hope that the same would hold true for stuff like that...great pics.

wow that's awesome. i would hope that they wouldn't get wrecked. pretty close to where we live in NY is the remnant of the 1969 World's Fair. When you pass them on the highway they almost resemble dinosaur fossils - but they're still there 40 years later. i would hope that the same would hold true for stuff like that...great pics.
    Yeah, I hope not! I don't know what's wrong with people for covering up those amazing murals!

Anyhow, here's a picture of the tattoo I did last night
    Last edited by Skyfire; 03-01-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Yeah, I hope not! I don't know what's wrong with people for covering up those amazing murals!

Anyhow, here's a picture of the tattoo I did last night
    the tree's really beautiful...

here's a question for you...i'm going in on Sunday to hopefully get my back piece finished. what's your outlook on taking a painkiller before going in for the tattoo - you think it'll thin my blood to the gross point? i feel like i need to take the edge off because it was really painful last time. (It's been gone over four times now)...

Pain and Tattoos

Hey Brad,
    Thanks for asking, I will try to keep it short if I can but you know I could talk for days about this stuff

In my opinion, I would suggest to take the painkiller half an hour before your tattoo. I've heard people say that if you can't handle the pain, you don't deserve the tattoo, and pain killers are cheating, blah blah... however I have clients who can't go more than an hour if they don't take them (codeine pills such as Tylenol 1s or 3s have worked well for my clients).

If you have heavier prescription pain killer, such as from the dentist for a toothache, definately wait until after your toothache has healed before getting the tattoo. You probably already know this, but if you feel like you're getting sick or you have other stresses to your body, wait on the tattoo until you are feeling 100%.

Sure asprin is known to thin the blood, however with the average person, there won't be much of a difference unless you have blood clotting issues (medically diagnosed condition). I would also be concerned if my client has a heart condition or if their body doesn't deal well under stress (seniors for example)

But for most people, if there is any extra bleeding after taking Tylenol 3s, it won't be significant enough that it will affect your tattoo. I know a lot of artists that let their clients have a shot of whisky during the middle of the tattoo just to take the edge off. However I would not tattoo anyone who had been out drinking before the tattoo. Alchohol is also known to thin the blood but just a bit will hardly be noticeable to the tattoo artist, if at all. It's also a judgement call from the tattoo artist.

Other ideas to help the pain: pot helps a lot of people, also have a good meal before the tattoo, and bring some chocolate or a granola bar to have in the middle of the session.

Oh, and I'm sure you know about focusing on breathing. I usually take a deep breath in when the machine stops, and then when the tattoo is in progress, I breathe out the air slowly. Reading or listening to my mp3 player also helps me to get into the 'zone'. But here I am talking to a guy who has over 100 tattoos!

The last thing I feel I have to mention although it's pretty obvious is to make sure if you are taking medication, that you have transportation to and from the tattoo studio.

Well so much for keeping it short. I love tattoos and anything that has to do with tattooing.

Good luck with your back this weekend I am getting some work on my back done as well and also my finger!

Hey Brad,
    Thanks for asking, I will try to keep it short if I can but you know I could talk for days about this stuff

In my opinion, I would suggest to take the painkiller half an hour before your tattoo. I've heard people say that if you can't handle the pain, you don't deserve the tattoo, and pain killers are cheating, blah blah... however I have clients who can't go more than an hour if they don't take them (codeine pills such as Tylenol 1s or 3s have worked well for my clients).

If you have heavier prescription pain killer, such as from the dentist for a toothache, definately wait until after your toothache has healed before getting the tattoo. You probably already know this, but if you feel like you're getting sick or you have other stresses to your body, wait on the tattoo until you are feeling 100%.

Sure asprin is known to thin the blood, however with the average person, there won't be much of a difference unless you have blood clotting issues (medically diagnosed condition). I would also be concerned if my client has a heart condition or if their body doesn't deal well under stress (seniors for example)

But for most people, if there is any extra bleeding after taking Tylenol 3s, it won't be significant enough that it will affect your tattoo. I know a lot of artists that let their clients have a shot of whisky during the middle of the tattoo just to take the edge off. However I would not tattoo anyone who had been out drinking before the tattoo. Alchohol is also known to thin the blood but just a bit will hardly be noticeable to the tattoo artist, if at all. It's also a judgement call from the tattoo artist.

Other ideas to help the pain: pot helps a lot of people, also have a good meal before the tattoo, and bring some chocolate or a granola bar to have in the middle of the session.

Oh, and I'm sure you know about focusing on breathing. I usually take a deep breath in when the machine stops, and then when the tattoo is in progress, I breathe out the air slowly. Reading or listening to my mp3 player also helps me to get into the 'zone'. But here I am talking to a guy who has over 100 tattoos!

The last thing I feel I have to mention although it's pretty obvious is to make sure if you are taking medication, that you have transportation to and from the tattoo studio.

Well so much for keeping it short. I love tattoos and anything that has to do with tattooing.

Good luck with your back this weekend I am getting some work on my back done as well and also my finger!
    Thanks - all awesome advice.

What you don't know about me is years ago i used to have a tattoo shop and used to dish out very similar advice to people...people always used to complain on how bad certain spots hurt, and for the most part you really don't know how bad the pain is going to be until you have it done on you.

long story short - years later i decided to cover up one of my very first tattoos (which was hideous but kind of large) and thus had to be covered with something much larger. i've already been through 4 sessions and this will be my 5th one...everytime i've had my back worked on for some reason the pain has gotten progressively worse to the point that last session i actually had to stop. i really want to make sure it's close to if not complete when i get to hedo next month (who wants to see some naked guy with an unfinished work of art) - so your advice is perfect.

I have some Motrin 600's that i recently got (coincidentally for a wisdom tooth ache) and I will take one right before the session starts to hopefully take the edge off.

i too love tattoos and everything having to do with them (except for the pain) - so thanks again for the advice. i'll make sure to hopefully post a finished pic on here when i return.

HOLY SHIT!!! The UPS guy just delivered the MOTHERLOAD of latex and fetish gear!!!

HOLY SHIT!!! The UPS guy just delivered the MOTHERLOAD of latex and fetish gear!!!
    does this website have a like button?

yeah! We're going to have to raid your closet! lol...

(who wants to see some naked guy with an unfinished work of art) -.
    My whole body is an unfinished work of art! lol....

My whole body is an unfinished work of art! lol....
    lol - that's true for me as well. i'm not sure what i'm going to do next though once my back is done...

yeah! We're going to have to raid your closet! lol...
    I have never used the liquid latex before, but there seems to be enough here to paint all of us a time or two!! Its going to be adult arts and crafts day for sure!!

Page 32 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast