Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Anyone?

Cool Tequila Anyone?

We know theres enough liquor at the Bars, but we can't help but bring along some fine tequila... Don Julio 1942 anyone?
    Life is sometimes too short... enjoy every minute of it!

Don Julio is an awesome tequilla, we have had a shot or 2 with a wonderfull couple who take it to Hedo 2 on some November trips. very good choice of Tequilla!!!
    critter2
    Delroy's,last trip was Nov.22nd-26th 2013 and then Cliffside Nov.27th-Dec.2nd. Next trip Nov.21-22nd White Sands,Nov23rd-30th Delroys!!
    Bill N Donna

We are going down sept first heard something about a group called naughty bits can you tell me more about groups.

Gary and Marcie,

They seem to be a very very fun group and will be there 8/30-9/6... peek at this link for more: http://www.hedonism.com/event_details.php?event_id=49

Thanks, Critter! It's one of our favs too. Although, Asom Broso 11month Reposado is at the top of our list! But the 1942 gets the honor of traveling with us this time
    ron and bobbi

Specializing in nautical/terrestrial acquistion and redistribution
    How about "Casta" and the very hard to find "1921" brands. Some of the best sipping tequilas I've ever had the privilege to try.

"Corazon" is pretty yummy too.
    "Pirates are crude, vile, highly
    offensive creatures who compensate for their lack of knowledge and manners
    with debauchery. Now everyone can stop with nicey, nicey and start being Pirates!!! AARRRGGGGHHH! !!!!"

It is a bit off subject but last May '07 at Desire Cabo the bartender made me a Don Julio Margarita and it was heavenly! I can never go back to a mixed margarita when the Don Julio (with fresh squeezed lime juice) beverage has been tasted. Can you please tell me exactly how to make one because I'll go get the stuff and be sipping one this weekend if you will!

Thanks inadvance for your help. I only wish that I could get beverages that tasty at Hedo this November when we are home for the week (we love H2 oh but to sip Don Julio all week long at Delroys) sounds even more heavenly.

Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by blazenlyhappy View Post
    It is a bit off subject but last May '07 at Desire Cabo the bartender made me a Don Julio Margarita and it was heavenly! I can never go back to a mixed margarita when the Don Julio (with fresh squeezed lime juice) beverage has been tasted. Can you please tell me exactly how to make one because I'll go get the stuff and be sipping one this weekend if you will!

Thanks inadvance for your help. I only wish that I could get beverages that tasty at Hedo this November when we are home for the week (we love H2 oh but to sip Don Julio all week long at Delroys) sounds even more heavenly.

Blaze
    I can almost guarantee you that it's the quality of the ingredients. IMO, Don Julio silver, reposado, and anejo tequilas are a better tasting, better quality Tequila than anything that Jose Cuervo has to offer, which is the best known "tourist tequila". All of their stuff, to my taste, is very harsh and uncompromising, as well as all of the "well" brands that bartenders here and abroad are familiar with. Now, that being said, someone's gonna come on here and flame me for knocking JC.
    I'll list some of the best Tequilas I've tried over the years, ALL of them are above and beyond what you've ever been led to believe is the best. Trust me.

"1921" IMO, by far the best I've ever tried. The aftertaste is like sweet flowers.

"Corazon". Heart. A different spicy, sweet aftertaste.

"Casta". Similar to 1921. Has a hand blown glass agave cactus in the bottom of the bottle. Good Tequila. My pick.

"Don Julio". It has a semi-sweet, peppery aftertaste. Goes well as a sipping tequila with firey tex-mex, or, as you found out, in a margarita.

"Cabo Wabo". Believe it or not, Sammy Hagar makes a fine tequila. Makes great margaritas, especially peach.

"Patron". The new "standard" back shelf tequila. Just plain all-around good tequila.

There are other tequilas out there that are worthy of mention, Sauza comes to mind, their quality and taste has improved dramatically over the last 10 years. Mexico also has some micro-distilleries making excellent tequilas,,,, as I said earlier, ALL of them are better than JC.

If you're able to do it, I suggest trying the one's I listed above, "neat", sans the salt, lime, and chilled routine. If you've a taste for wines or beers, then you'll experience the tastes I described above.

Now, on to the other ingredients.

Triple sec. Orange-flavored liquers. To name a few, there's Patrón Citrónge, Cointreau, blue curaçao. Others too. Choose your favorite.

Lime juice. Rose's lime juice is the old standby, but there are better ones in the stores. If you have to have the bottled style juice, I prefer "Nellie and Joe's Key West lime juice". I have a taste for key limes, so that's what works for me, since I can't get key limes all the time. There are other lime juices on the shelf, so get one that suits you.

Fresh juice. Mexican limes. By far, they will give you the most juice per lime than any other. Like I said, I like key limes. More effort, better taste. But that's just my opinion.

Salt. If you have a specialty food store in your area, I suggest looking at their selection of sea-salts. Sea-salts from around the globe can work wonders for a margarita. FYI, there's been discussion whether or not salt has been used to cover up the taste of harsh tequila.

And, by no means, do you have to stick with the tried and true, lime flavored margaritas. Peach, Bananna, Raspberry, Lemon (made with Meyer Lemons) to name a few. The flavor variations are as limitless as the martini seems to be.

So,,, in a nutshell,,,,,
    Get a good tequila,
    Get your favorite orange flavored liquer
    Fresh squeezed juice,,,,,
    Sea-salt

all on the rocks. Frozen dilutes the flavor, IMO.

Hope this helps. Y'all drink up now

Man, this post doesn't label me a "Tequila Elitist" does it?
    Last edited by Kelley; 09-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    with debauchery. Now everyone can stop with nicey, nicey and start being Pirates!!! AARRRGGGGHHH! !!!!"

Blog Entries
    Darn it...I had written my meager knowledge about tequila and it timed out on me and I lost what I had written.....Kelly (Kelwa) You are impressive with your knowledge of Tequila!

I love Don Julio, Patron, Sauza Commemorativo and Sauza Tres Generaciones...there are several others that I cannot remember at this time..... Each has its subtle differences and it is fun to have people taste different tequilas from the cheap to teh more expensive smooth tequilas. I have shown many people the difference between a cheap Jose Cuervo and a more fine Tequila.

As for Margeritas...try using Patron Citronge for the orange liqueur...it is wonderfully smooth!!!! ANd always drink it on the rocks!!!!! Frozen is for beginners! ha ha

The discovery of fine tequilas can be a wonderful journey!!!! As, is the discovery of fine wines and other liquors, enjoy it! You have to taste the bad to be able to recognize the good!

See ya!
    Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyes12 View Post
    Darn it...I had written my meager knowledge about tequila and it timed out on me and I lost what I had written.....Kelly (Kelwa) You are impressive with your knowledge of Tequila!

I love Don Julio, Patron, Sauza Commemorativo and Sauza Tres Generaciones...there are several others that I cannot remember at this time..... Each has its subtle differences and it is fun to have people taste different tequilas from the cheap to teh more expensive smooth tequilas. I have shown many people the difference between a cheap Jose Cuervo and a more fine Tequila.

As for Margeritas...try using Patron Citronge for the orange liqueur...it is wonderfully smooth!!!! ANd always drink it on the rocks!!!!! Frozen is for beginners! ha ha

The discovery of fine tequilas can be a wonderful journey!!!! As, is the discovery of fine wines and other liquors, enjoy it! You have to taste the bad to be able to recognize the good!

See ya!
    Blue
    Sorry, just had to share what experience has taught me concerning Tequila. Hopefully, our posts have shed light on "Cactus Whiskey". Those of you who's only experience is with "tourist" or harsh tequilas, including some Mezcal's with the worm in them, and then finding yourself bending over the angry chair a few hours later,,,,,, I feel for ya. I was that guy too, back in the day. At one point, I even said "Never again". My eyes were opened one day when a friend, who happened to own a mexican restaurant on the southside of Atlanta, offered me a free shot of Herradura, at that time - 1990 or 1991, the newest tequila offering to cross the border.

BTW, "Nellie and Joe's Key West lime juice" goes well with any south of the border beer that is usually served with a lime or lemon. Those of you who don't like pulp from fresh fruit can use it. It still has a extremely small amount of pulp, but it's very fine and mixes in most excellently.

I have to say that there is a new Tequila classification of "Extra Añejo" ("extra aged" or "ultra aged") – aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels. This category was established in March 2006. I haven't tried any yet, much less found any. Maybe we'll see some here in 2009, after the 3 year or more age limit.

Kelley "Dirty" Hargis

355 days or so.

AARRGGHH!!!!
    Last edited by Kelley; 09-05-2008 at 10:05 AM.

The best tequilla makes your clothes fall off. LOL
    [U]GOOD FRIENDS - GOOD WHISKEY [/U]& GOOD LOVIN' - NEED I SAY MORE

So the million dollar question is this:

How os it that we can get a quality beverage at HEDO in Novemeber? I'm talking a good margarita? Or do we just have to bring our own?

We also now love Corazon. Our wonderful friends Rick & Ivy from AWOL introduced us to it. Monieb doesnt even particularly like tequila, but she "hearts" Corazon!

"Are You Feeling Hedo's Mojo Yet?"
    Hedonism II, April 21-28, 2012
    mo@hedomojo.com

Quote Originally Posted by 55chevy View Post
    The best tequilla makes your clothes fall off. LOL
    I need for my wife's clothes to fall off quickly in the disco. What kind of mixed drink that includes tequila, but doesn't have a strong taste of alcohol, is best? She spurns anything that has a strong alcohol taste, so I need to find something that tastes a little fruity and sweet but that will also sneak up on her.

See you in November.
    Mike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Black Vulcan View Post
    We also now love Corazon. Our wonderful friends Rick & Ivy from AWOL introduced us to it. Monieb doesnt even particularly like tequila, but she "hearts" Corazon!
    Just trying to get the word out is all Moe, the good word of good tequila. JC has never passed my lips. Hated the smell of the stuff. Introduced to the finer stuff and have not looked back. 4 Copas, Corazon, Abandonado to name a few. If its under $50.00 a bottle, makes a good nail polish remover. Is it me or has anyone else noticed, I don't get headaches with the good stuff.

Hi, my name is Rick and I am a tequila snob....there, I have said it...let the drinking begin...

"Once you go, you know"
    Ivy and Rick

P.S. If you go to Hedo and you want good tequila, bring your own, we did, made lots of friends.

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast